Thursday, March 1, 2012

Golden idea

Not sure where to start or what to do for you first golden act? Just look at your daily routine.

Do you get coffee at the same shop everyday? Have lunch at a regular spot? Park your car in one lot day after day? Do you know the people who work there? If not, get to know them.



Instead of just saying hi or thanks as you walk by, ask how they are doing today and really mean it. It only takes a minute or two to make someone feel special. Who knows? That could be the bright spot in their day.

I go to the same drugstore pretty often that is close to our gym. There is a worker there who could best be described as "crabby" on a good day. On one trip, she had to look up an in-store coupon for my purchase and it was taking a while. So while she was looking I asked how she was doing that day, and since she had time, she actually engaged in the conversation. Once my transaction was done, I looked at the clerk, thanked her and told her how much I appreciated her taking the time to look up the coupon for me. You could tell she was taken back by it. But smiled and said you're welcome. Who knows what she is dealing with in her life but hopefully those 5 minutes made her feel good, even if just for a little while.

It just takes a moment to make a difference. 


Have you started your acts of kindness, witnessed a kind act or been the recipient? Share your story with us in the comment section below! 

2 comments:

  1. Thought I would share the nice thing that my boss did today. Apparently he bought a bunch of candy bars in support of a local charity. He then walked around to each office and gave employees one, stating that it was "A random act of chocolate day." What a nice surprise...much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete