Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Be Golden Movement

Every year during Lent, I focus on what to give up. Inevitably I give up candy or sugar but as soon as the 40 days of Lent are over, I am inhaling as much sugar as I can.

So this year I wanted to do something more meaningful, something that would last beyond Lent and make a real difference in people's lives. Laying in bed one night, it came to me: "Do unto others as you would have done unto you." The golden rule. It's so simple but so often forgotten.

We focus so much on the things that will make US happy. But what if we took the time to think about OTHERS before ourselves. From that thought, Be Golden was born. Be Golden is a movement to do one positive thing for someone else every day for 40 days. Ideally the goodness will be contagious, they will pass it on and the golden moments will continue to multiple.

Be Golden Acts of Goodness can be anything that positively affect others:
  • Smiling and saying good morning to a stranger 
  • Helping a neighbor 
  • Thanking someone for being part of your life
  • Paying for a stranger's meal or gas
  • Opening the door for someone
  • Thanking your waiter/waitress 
I can't wait to hear all of the great and caring acts you come up with. I hope you'll join me in the Be Golden movement and pass on the goodness to others.


Print out the Be Golden card above. When you perform Golden Act of Goodness, give the recipient this card and encourage them to pass on the golden moments to others. Give the cards to your friends and family and ask them to join you in the Be Golden Movement.

If you see someone performing a golden act, perform one yourself or are a recipient, send me your story. Sharing your story will encourage others to Be Golden themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment